Side Hustle Alert - How to Become An Affiliate Marketer and Why It's The Easiest and Most Passive Side Hustle Out There
Are you a PT, OT, PTA, COTA or other healthcare professional looking to make a little money on the side, but in the fastest and easiest way possible? In my opinion, then your best route is affiliate marketing.
In this article, I'll walk you through what is affiliate marketing, how get started making money on this, and why it's the most passive route out there for therapists.
What is affiliate marketing?
Have you been on Facebook, and you see someone recommend a product or service and provide you with a link or coupon to use? This is affiliate marketing!
You essentially refer people to products in exchange for a referral bonus. You will get a unique code or link upon signing up for free affiliate programs and this link tracks when someone has purchased through your link and you'll get paid for each converted purchase through your link or coupon. Really easy right?! Let's break it down even more for you below.
How do you become an affiliate marketer?
It's super easy to become an affiliate marketer- that's why it's my number one recommended passive income route. You need no additional skills, no additional technology other than your phone, computer, and mouth, and no money or set up needed.
Here are the steps:
1. Find products, people or services you feel you would be proud to support. Perhaps this is a CEU company, perhaps it's a cash back shopping app like Ebates...almost every business has an affiliate program.
2. Once you have found or though of companies you want to promote, then go to their website and see if you see a button or label that says "referral program" or "affiliate". Usually after clicking these links, there is a detailed explanation of what you will get with each referral and how to sign up.
3. Sign up: This is usually just emailing the company or filling out a basic form with your name, email, and pay pal email for payments.
4. Often it's immediately after filling out the above form, but sometimes you will need to get approved (rare), you'll receive a unique coupon code and/or link. This link will track who clicks it and know when someone has bought through your link.
5. When you read comments or posts that you think people would benefit from your product or service recommendation, then simply share your link or coupon code.
Did you know we have an affiliate program? If you are interested, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you set up!
How much do you usually earn as an affiliate marketer?
So most referral programs vary between $10 - $500. The higher the product or program costs, the higher the referral bonus will be.
How much you make really depends on how much work you put into promoting. For example, if you every once in a while share your link, then you could make a couple hundred dollars a year. But if you go and you create a following and then share your products, well then you'll make much more.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons:
There is really no such thing as passive income, but this can be as passive or active as you want it and there is no cost or set up so it's pretty easy to get started. There are affiliate marketers who make hundreds of thousand of dollars but they have taken years to get to that level and work hard to provide a lot of free resources and value. So just like with all things, it is what you make of it.
I will say it's a great way to dip your feet into sales and marketing and see how you like it but with no commitment and not upfront work.
What are some other side hustle ideas?
My second top recommendation is self publishing your own book. I also think making courses, tele health, personal training, health coaching, and virtual technology services like video editing, audio editing, blogging, website creator are great other side hustles as well.